viernes, 16 de marzo de 2007

Isaac Asimov (1920-1992)







Isaac Asimov was the most famous, most honored, most widely read, and most beloved science fiction author of all time. In his five decades as an author, he wrote more than four hundred books, won every award his readers and colleagues could contrive to give him, and provided pleasure and insight to millions.
Isaac Asimov was born in Russia in 1920 and grew up in the USA. His fantastic career as a science fiction writer began in 1939 with the appearence of a short story 'Marooned Off Vesta', in Amazing Stories. He won the Hugo Award four times and the Nebula Award once. With nearly five hundred books to his name and several hundred articles, Asimov's output was prolific by any standards. He died in 1992 at the age of 72.

I, Robot
In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.

Asimov’s Quotations
"I don´t fear computers, I fear the lack of them"

"When asked what I would do if my doctor told me I had only six months to live, I answered 'I'd type faster.'"
"Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers."
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
"Never let your sense of morals stop you from doing what is right"
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' - but 'That's funny...'"


9 comentarios:

Vladimir dijo...

yeah! he was a great writter!

I have a book about the black holes and it's very interesting

SOL dijo...

I hope to enjoy "I robot" it sounds very promising.

Books are always better than movies and this can't be the exception

Unknown dijo...

__Hi everyone,

I was really anoying, I can´t believe my ears when I hear Daniel´s words: "I don´t like reading (literature)because is boring"; may be because reading is kind of half of my life, perhaps more, but that words for itself are very sad. Well my friend, Asimov is going to teach how wrong are you all your life, enjoy the reading...

Fernando dijo...

I love the quote "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' - but 'That's funny...'" because, as a science person, that's the most honest thing I ever read. I already read half of the book and I already love it. I can hardly wait to finish it.

Unknown dijo...

Faith of e-rats (o sea, fe de erratas)

__Hi everyone,

I was really anoying, I can´t believe my ears when I hear Daniel´s words: "I don´t like reading (literature)because is boring"; may be because reading is kind of half of my life, perhaps more, but that words for itself are very sad. Well my friend, Asimov is going to teach how wrong you have been all your life, enjoy the reading...

Unknown dijo...

Again, Faith of e-rats (o sea, fe de erratas)

__Hi everyone,

I was really anoyed, I can´t believe my ears when I heard Daniel´s words: "I don´t like reading (literature)because is boring"; may be because reading is kind of half of my life, perhaps more, but that words for itself are very sad. Well my friend, Asimov is going to teach how wrong you have been all your life, enjoy the reading...

Astrid Torres E. dijo...

hey! I´m not so sure about this reading, I guess I don´t like so much about robots and that stuff but anyway I gonna give a chance to Isaac Asimov. I know that always the book is better than the movie, but I saw the movie years ago, and I didn´t like it.
XOXO

Rodrigop dijo...

hi

this is the first time i write here

Nelly dijo...

I think we need that kind of histories for wake up and go back to reality, sometimes the human beings are like robots and don't show their feelings, so the history was great and so much better the book